Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Seafood Stew from National Diabetes Program Recipe and Meal Planner Guide, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: About 45 minutes
- Serves: 10
- 6 cups water
- 10 oz. white wine
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 pound large shrimp, washed
- 1 pound crayfish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 pound sea bass, cut into chunks
- 1 pound small squid, cleaned and sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large, non-aluminum saucepan, stir together the water, white wine, celery, and carrots. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and crayfish and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Strain the shellfish and vegetables from the broth and set the broth aside. Peel the crayfish and shrimp and discard the shells.
- Warm the olive oil in the large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and peppers until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme and oregano. Add the reserved broth and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the sea bass and squid and simmer for 2 minutes. Return the crayfish, shrimp and vegetables to the broth and simmer for 1 more minute. Season to taste, ladle into bowls, and serve immediately.