Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 x 3½-pound whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 x 7 ounce jar roasted sliced pimentos with juice
- ½ teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1½ cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 pound large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 pound cleaned squid, bodies cut into ½-inch rings
- 1 dozen clams, scrubbed
- 1 dozen mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Preheat oven to 450°f.
- Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped bacon and cook until fat is rendered, about 6 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels and drain.
- Set aside.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to bacon drippings in pot and cook over medium heat until brown, about 7 minutes per side.
- Using tongs, remove chicken from pot.
- Add chopped onions and garlic to pot and sauté until beginning to brown, scraping up any browned bits, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in rice, roasted pimientos with juices and saffron.
- Add clam juice and chicken stock to pot and bring mixture to simmer.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour rice mixture into 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Arrange chicken, shrimp, squid, clams and mussels in rice mixture.
- Sprinkle with chopped bacon and peas.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake paella until chicken is cooked through, clams and mussels open and rice is tender, about 45 minutes (discard any clams and mussels that do not open).
- Remove foil from baking dish.
- Let paella stand 10 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.