This is perfect for anyone who doesn't like eggs. It has a lot of protein to keep you going throughout the day. Try making a steaming breakfast tortilla wrap filled with the scrambled tofu, Guacamole, Tofu Sour Cream, and soy cheddar cheese. Don't forget to use your choice of fresh homemade salsas from this book.
- Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny via World Recipes Y-Group
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Makes 6 Servings
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons minced bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup minced onions
- 3 teaspoons Bragg's Liquid Amino, or tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons trimmed and thinly sliced scallions
- ½ cup minced tomatoes
- Freeze the tofu in the original package for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Defrost the unopened package in warm water or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Drain the liquid from the package and press the tofu firmly between your hands to rid it of excess liquid.
- The finished tofu will resemble the texture of a damp sponge.
- Crumble the tofu in a mixing bowl and sprinkle with the turmeric and mix well.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with canola oil spray and set over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onions and cook, stirring, until the onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup of water and 2 teaspoons of the liquid amino, and stir.
- Add the tomatoes, bell peppers and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the tofu, and stir for additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drizzle in ¼ cup water and the remaining 1 teaspoon liquid amino and stir for an additional 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with the scallions.