- vegetable cooking spray or up to 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 lb medium or firm low fat tofu sliced and drained between towels
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and green peppers.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- While onions are browning, place tofu in a large bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add spices and mix well.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until hot and bubbly.
- Add tofu mixture to vegetables in skillet.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until heated through.
- To serve, divide tofu mixture onto 4 serving plates.
- Top with sauce.