Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
These make a wonderful breakfast or brunch treat. They are also nice served with lemon curd.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp. grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Slightly beat egg and add to butter milk, set aside.
- In a bowl, add flour, lemon rind, poppy seeds, and lemon juice.
- Once butter is cut into pats, add to bowl; work with pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add buttermilk mixture.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead five or six times, divide in half and roll or pat each section into circle.
- Cut each circle into six wedges placing one inch apart on lightly greased sheet.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine lemon juice and sifted powdered sugar. Drizzle evenly on scones.
MAKES 16 servings.