Patience is a virtue, and (trust me) this stuff is WELL worth the wait!
- ½ lb (250g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 3½ ounces (100g) light brown sugar
- 3 ounces (90g) unsalted butter
- 4 fluid ounces (125ml) golden syrup or light corn syrup
- 5 fluid ounces (150ml) milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 oranges, zest only
- 2 ounces (60g) dried apricots, finely chopped
- Grease and line a deep 7-inch (18cm) square cake tin.
- Sift the flour, ginger, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Place sugar, butter, syrup and milk in a pan and warm gently until melted and blended. Do not boil.
- Add to the flour with the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in orange zest and apricots.
- Turn into the baking tin and bake at 325°F (160°C) for 60 – 65 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Turn out and cool.
- The flavour of this cake improves with age.
- Store in an airtight container for 2 – 3 days before serving.