Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Patience is a virtue, and (trust me) this stuff is WELL worth the wait!
- ½ lb (250g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 3½ ounces (100g) light brown sugar
- 3 ounces (90g) unsalted butter
- 4 fluid ounces (125ml) golden syrup or light corn syrup
- 5 fluid ounces (150ml) milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 oranges, zest only
- 2 ounces (60g) dried apricots, finely chopped
- Grease and line a deep 7-inch (18cm) square cake tin.
- Sift the flour, ginger, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Place sugar, butter, syrup and milk in a pan and warm gently until melted and blended. Do not boil.
- Add to the flour with the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in orange zest and apricots.
- Turn into the baking tin and bake at 325°F (160°C) for 60 – 65 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Turn out and cool.
- The flavour of this cake improves with age.
- Store in an airtight container for 2 – 3 days before serving.