Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Serves 8
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2½ pounds firm boiling potatoes
- 1½ cup grated, imported Swiss cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut in ¼ inch bits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Rub the bottom and sides of a flameproof baking and serving dish, 10 to 12 inches across and 2 inches deep, with the crushed garlic, and grease lightly with butter.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into ⅛ inch slices (about 8 cups).
- Dry the potato slices with a paper towel, then spread half of the slices in the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle them with half the cheese, butter bits, salt and pepper.
- Spread the rest of the slices in the dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese, butter, salt and pepper on top.
- Slowly pour the milk into the side of the dish.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat, then place in the upper third of the oven; bake for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- At this point, remove any residual liquid with a bulb baster and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are completely tender, the milk absorbed and the top nicely browned.
- Serve at once.