Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Serves 8
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2½ pounds firm boiling potatoes
- 1½ cup grated, imported Swiss cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut in ¼ inch bits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Rub the bottom and sides of a flameproof baking and serving dish, 10 to 12 inches across and 2 inches deep, with the crushed garlic, and grease lightly with butter.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into ⅛ inch slices (about 8 cups).
- Dry the potato slices with a paper towel, then spread half of the slices in the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle them with half the cheese, butter bits, salt and pepper.
- Spread the rest of the slices in the dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese, butter, salt and pepper on top.
- Slowly pour the milk into the side of the dish.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat, then place in the upper third of the oven; bake for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- At this point, remove any residual liquid with a bulb baster and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are completely tender, the milk absorbed and the top nicely browned.
- Serve at once.