Scalloped Corn from the Public Health Cookbook—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 12
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any color), seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 x 16-ounce packages whole kernel corn, thawed
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- Non-fat cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle the flour then gently toss to coat the vegetables.
- Stir in the milk. Raise heat and bring to a boil, stirring often. Remove from heat then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, corn and 1 cup of the bread crumbs. Add the vegetable mixture and mix until combined.
- Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray then pour in the corn mixture. Sprinkle remaining bread crumbs over the top of the mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until center appears set. Let stand for 10–15 minutes then serve.