This red-hot casserole is made with real scallops and mushrooms, enriched with wine, cream, and spices, and baked to smooth and golden-brown perfection to make it look appetizing. You can also top this with the hot sauce for burning zest, if you want.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs. scallops
- 1 lb. small mushrooms or (1 can fresh mushrooms)
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup Chablis or Chardonnay wine
- 1 ½ cup light cream or half-and-half
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- hot sauce, optional
- Spoon a large baking dish with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Layer mushrooms on bottom and top with scallops. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Melt ¼ cup butter and stir in flour. Gradually mix up wine and cook until sauce is thick.
- Gradually mix up cream and season with garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour sauce over the casserole.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and bake at 350° F for 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot and plain or with any seafood but cut into squares with a chef's knife. Drizzle with the hot sauce, if desired.