Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Lamb shank casserole with cayenne. Typical of the Middle East, there are many variations on this dish, some with carrots instead of potatoes and some lacking tomatoes. Chopped fresh green chiles can be substituted for the Cayenne if you wish.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds lamb shanks
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne, or more to taste
- 2 cups lamb or beef stock
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, diced
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped Italian parsley leaves for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and brown the lamb shanks.
- Add the onions and brown for 2 minutes.
- Add the cayenne and stock, transfer to a casserole dish, cover, and cook on low heat for 1 hour and fifteen minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, potatoes, mushrooms, and wine and simmer, covered, for another hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste just before serving and sprinkle with the parsley.