Part of Herbs 'N Spices: A Holiday Menu: a complete menu for a holiday open house or buffet-add the appetizers.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 turkey, 12 – 14 lbs — thawed if frozen
- ½ cup butter or margarine — at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary — crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Rinse and pat dry the inside and outside of the turkey with paper towels.
- Remove the giblets, neck, and tailpiece.
- Combine the butter, herbs and salt in a small bowl.
- Carefully loosen skin from the breast of the turkey starting from neck.
- Turn the turkey over and separate skin from the legs and thighs.
- Spread ½ of butter mixture between skin and meat over breast, legs and thighs.
- Rub remaining butter mixture over the turkey skin.
- Fill the turkey body and neck cavities with some of stuffing; truss if desired.
- Transfer remaining stuffing to a buttered casserole dish and refrigerate until later.
- Place turkey on rack set in a roasting pan.
- Roast, basting with pan juices, until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees.
- This will take between three and four hours, depending on your oven.
- Place dish with stuffing in oven 30 minutes before turkey is done.
- Let the turkey rest 15 minutes out of the oven before carving.
You can do this same thing with a bone-in turkey breast, except the stuffing will be cooked in a casserole dish, and the meat will take much less time. A good alternative if you don't want any leftovers or have only a few people for dinner.