- Place the beans, water, onion, garlic and all the seasonings except for the corn and miso in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, or until beans are extra soft, and flavors have mingled well.
- Remove pot from heat, and strain the soup, reserving the liquid and setting aside one cup of the beans.
- Puree the remaining liquid and bean mixture until smooth, then return all but 1 cup (approximately) of the soup to the pot.
- Puree the one cup of soup with the miso paste until completely smooth.
- Add this back into the soup pot, along with the beans you set aside, and the frozen corn kernels.
- Reheat gently on medium-low, and do not boil.
- Serve hot garnished with a dollop each of tofu sour cream and salsa, sprinkled with fresh cilantro and/or green onions, and a handful of tortilla chips for dipping.