- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Add potatoes and salt and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, sugar and thyme and cook, stirring often, until onion slices are golden.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, wine and soy sauce.
- Simmer until thickened, stirring continuously.
- Add “sausage” to gravy and simmer until heated through.
- Drain and rinse potatoes; mash with potato masher.
- Add warm milk and butter and whip potatoes with hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve mashed potatoes topped with gravy and “sausages”.