Similar to the original beef roll-ups or calzone, this sausage-based side dish is made and mixed with shortcrust pastry, flour, and real milk and cooked to smooth, golden-brown perfection.
- Roll the pastry out thinly into a rectangle, then cut it lengthwise into 2 strips.
- Divide the sausage meat into 2 pieces; dust with flour and form into 2 rolls the length of the pastry.
- Lay a roll of sausage meat down the center of each strip; brush down the edges of the pastry with a little milk.
- Fold one side of the pastry over the sausage meat and press the two edges firmly together.
- Seal the long edges together by flaking.
- Brush the length of the two rolls with milk; then cut each into slices 4 cm (1 inch) to 5 cm (2 inches) long.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in a moderately hot oven (200°C / 400°F / Gas 6) for 15 minutes; to cook the meat thoroughly, reduce the temperature to moderate (180°C / 350°F / Gas 4) and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Cover and brown the top of the dish under a hot grill. Serve straight from the pan.