This recipe is for two hungry persons.
400 calories per serving (informed estimate)
This is a slightly more developed version of a Sausage Hotpot recipe which was improvised in an effort to use up various items in my refrigerator and larder.
I have decided to post it up on the Interweb since none of the recipes I have checked since are anything remotely like this invention.
It is a very tasty and nutritious meal, arguably well balanced in terms of carbohydrates, proteins and fat, covering three portions of vegetables, in accordance with the UK government's eat 5-a-day policy.
- 4 sausages
- 1 tin of red kidney beans (rinsed well)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 small onions or 1 large onion, chopped
- Fresh chopped garlic (I like plenty; you may prefer less)
- 1 tsp of La Chinata or other hot smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 dash balsamic vinegar
- Cook the sausages as per the pack instructions.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 °C.
- Combine cooked sausages and all the other ingredients in a casserole dish.
- Put the lid on the casserole dish.
- Put the lidded casserole dish into the preheated oven, remembering to close the oven door and noting the time of commencement.
- Cook for 60 minutes, stirring well every 15 minutes to prevent sticking.
- Serve it up!
Note: I'd say this is pretty much a whole meal in itself *but* if you did want some accompaniment, I'd suggest a nice chunk of warm crusty bread would go down a treat (and if you were feeling really naughty, a nice bit o' butter on that bread).