This bold, meaty version of the paella is made and packed with herbs, spices, and real vegetables and cooked to great, yellow perfection, as it is good with other meat dishes and maintains a red-hot, steamy taste with the rice, poultry, seafood, and sausage.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound smoked sausage, sliced (chorizo)
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped, red, white, or yellow only
- 1 medium-size red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup clam juice (or 1 cup fish stock)
- 1½ cup chicken stock
- ⅛ teaspoon ground saffron or (1 teaspoon turmeric)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook sausage, chicken, shrimp, garlic, and onion 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add rice, and red pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until rice is lightly browned.
- Add clam juice, stock, saffron or turmeric, and paprika.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Mix with peas and tomatoes and serve but scoop or spoon the cooked paella in a large plate.
Nutritional Information Edit
Servings: 2 scoops per plate