All time traditional family favorite.
- 4 lbs rump roast, boneless
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 8 peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 10 gingersnaps
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- Place the Beef roast in a deep ceramic or glass bowl.
- Add onions,peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaf.
- Pour white vinegar and cider vinegar over the meat; chill, covered, for 4 days.
- Turn meat twice each day.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, dry it well with paper towels, and strain the marinade into a bowl.
- Reserve onions and 1 cup marinade.
- In a dutch oven brown the meat on all sides in hot vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle meat with salt.
- Pour boiling water around the meat.
- Sprinkle in crushed gingersnaps, and simmer covered for 1½ hours.
- Turn often.
- Add 1 cup of reserved marinade and cook meat 2 hours or more, until tender.
- Remove the meat and keep it warm.
- Strain the cooking juices into a large saucepan.
- In a small bowl mix sour cream with flour.
- Stir it into the cooking juices and cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Slice meat in ¼ inch slices; add to hot gravy.
- Arrange meat on a heated plater and pour extra sauce over it.