This recipe is for 12 rounds.
- In large mixer bowl soften yeast in warm water.
- Add 2 cups flour, shortening and salt.
- Beat at low speed of electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping bowl.
- Beat 3 minutes at high speed.
- Stir in as much remaining flour as you can mix in with a spoon.
- Turn onto lightly floured work surface.
- Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smoooth and elastic.(5 minutes)
- Cover, let rest in a warm place about 15 minutes.
- Divide into 12 equal partions.
- Roll each between floured hands into a very smooth ball.
- Cover with a damp cloth, let rest 10 minutes.
- Using fingers, gently flatten balls.
- Cover, let rest 10 minutes.(keep dough pieces covered until ready to use.)
- On well floured surface lightly roll one piece of dough at a time into a circle 7 inches in diameter, turning dough over once.
- Do not stretch,puncture or crease dough(Work with enough flour so dough does not stick).
- Place on baking sheet. Bake rounds, 2 at a time, in a 450 F oven about 3 minutes or until dough is puffed and softly set.
- Turn over with a spatula, bake about 2 more mintes, or until dough is light brown.
- Repeat with remaining dough, baking one batch before rolling the next batch.
- To serve, slice bread crosswise, fill pocket with desired filling Makes 12 rounds.