Grilled skewered meat. The ever popular and a personal favourite! It looks similar to the famous 'Shish Kabob', however, the sauce used is different. Satay can be made with either beef, chicken, pork, lamb or prawns.
- 1 kg meat, cut in cubes
- a pack of bamboo skewers
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- ¼ cup shallots
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp chili paste
Peanut sauce Edit
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp ground chilli
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 tbsp ground roasted peanuts
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and sugar to taste
- Combine peanut oil, shallots, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, lime juice, palm sugar and chile paste in a bowl.
- Add meat, coat well and marinate over night.
- Thread meat through skewers which have been soaked in water for about 4 hours.
- Bbq or broil meat skewers.
- Serve with sambal kacang (peanut sauce).
- Saute chopped onion in oil.
- Add ground chilli, reduce heat; add peanuts and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Bring to boil and add coconut milk and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, sugar and lemon juice.
- This sauce is preferably served hot during winter and at room temperature during summer.