Split Pea Soup
- 1 lb of split yellow peas
- 1 small ham shank or smoked pork butt
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 medium carrots sliced
- 3 ribs of celery
- 1 parsley root diced
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 parsnip root diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 3 quarts of water
- ¼ cup of pearl barley (optional)
- Wash and drain yellow peas and place in soup pot with 3 quarts of cold water.
- Add ham or pork butt, along with vegetables and spices and optional barley.
- Bring water to a boil, turn down heat and slowly cook until all veggies and peas are soft.
- Taste for seasoning, and now add required salt.
- (ham and pork butt are salty, do not add salt at the beginning of cooking).
- Cooking will take about an hour and a half.
- If the soup is not as thick as you like it, cook it a little longer.
- The soup should be thick, like a peas porridge.
- Serve in a large bowl with a slice of ham or pork butt in each serving.
- Add a crusty bread and salad for a satisfying one dish meal.