These spicy meatballs are smothered in green salsa; when broken open melted Cheese oozes out.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 slices Atkins Bakery™ ready-to-eat country white bread, torn into small pieces
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ pound pepper jack (or Monterey jack) cheese, cut into 12 equal sized cubes
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup prepared green salsa
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat.
- Sauté onion until softened, about 5 minutes, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, soak bread in water and cream until soft.
- Mix in turkey, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and onions.
- Divide mixture into 12 portions, insert a cheese cube into the center of each portion and form into balls (make sure cheese is completely enclosed).
- Heat remaining oil over medium heat.
- Cook meatballs 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- Add salsa and chicken broth to skillet, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered until meatballs are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and spoon sauce over meatballs before serving.