- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1½ teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1½ tablespoons chicken base
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 5 (15-ounce) cans black beans
- ¾ cup bottled barbecue sauce
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and bacon bits, and saute 3 to 4 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic, red pepper, chicken base and chili powder, and saute 2 to 3 minutes to infuse flavor.
- Add beans and barbecue sauce, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally; add water if necessary to maintain consistency.
- Season with salt and white pepper.