Aubergine (eggplant) sauce
- 2 small aubergines
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp terasi
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 large tomatoes
- Slice the aubergine and sprinkle it with salt; leave to stand for half an hour, then rinse and dry.
- Cut up the tomatoes and remove the seeds.
- Crush the terasi and garlic together.
- Slice the onion thinly, and fry until slightly brown.
- Add the garlic and terasi, the sugar and the chilli powder.
- Put in the aubergine, and mix well.
- Add the tomatoes, cover the pan, and continue cooking gently for 5 minutes.
- Taste, and add salt if necessary.
- Then put the mixture into a pudding basin and steam it for 20 minutes.