Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is an easy tropical dish that is full of flavor! I like to serve it with chips, or as a side dish. It would be easy to try slightly different versions by adding lime juice, ginger, pineapple, or jalapenos, depending on your personal taste. If you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them! Thanks!
- 5 cups masa harina
- 4 cups water, approximately
- 16 – 24 ounces canned refried beans
- ground beef or pork rinds to taste
- 3 cups soft white cheese
- light vegetable oil or light olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, gradually stir water into masa harina until dough forms a ball that can be handled.
- Into another bowl, empty the refried beans.
- Place the grated cheese into a separate bowl.
- Divide dough into about 25 pieces.
- Roll each into a ball and flatten between the palms of your hands to about ½-inch thick.
- Put a spoonful of beans and a small handful of cheese into the center of each pupusa (ground beef or pork rinds optional).
- Flatten again with the filling inside.
- Heat a heavy, wide-bottomed or flat skillet until hot.
- Brush with oil and cook pupusas on each side 4–5 minutes until a pale golden-brown.
- The outside should be firm.