Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Cold beet soup
- vegetable broth
- sour cream or buttermilk
- salt to taste
- potatoes, cooked, chilled and diced
- cucumbers, seeded and diced
- fresh dill, for garnish
- Prepare an all-purpose vegetable broth by boiling assorted vegetables, herbs/spices (such as bay and peppercorns) in lightly salted water.
- Use celery and carrot tops, onion root ends, and other vegetables left over from preparing other dishes.
- Boil beets in broth until soft.
- Remove beets from water.
- Peel and grate the beets coarsely.
- Strain broth.
- Add vinegar, sugar and sour cream or buttermilk to the beet water.
- Adjust the amount of salt needed at this time.
- Return beets to the broth.
- Chill well.
- To serve, place chilled diced potatoes and diced, seeded cucumbers in soup bowls.
- Pour soup over the potatoes and cucumbers.
- Garnish with dill (fresh, chopped or dried).