- 2 medium cucumbers, scored with a fork, not peeled but sliced very thinly
- 2 medium zucchini, raw, same size as cucumbers, prepared the same way
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper (fresh ground if available)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- In a 2-quart bowl, arrange in the cucumber and zucchini in alternate layers blend the white vinegar with sugar dissolved in hot water, salt, coarse black pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Drain any water formed from cucumbers before adding the dressing.
- Allow vegetables to marinate in the dressing at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with meat, , or poultry.
- Note that no oil is used in the above dressing.
- The amount of sugar is not excessive for this kind of dressing.
- An artificial sweetener may be substituted for the sugar if desired.