Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Saffron Rissotto with Asparagus and Peas from the Public Health Cookbook—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 16 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¾ cup dry white wine (may use water instead)
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups Arborio rice or long-grain rice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup low-fat grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan then add asparagus and cook for 2–3 minutes until crisp-tender. Use a slotted spoon to remove asparagus and set aside. Reduce heat to medium-low then stir in the wine and saffron and simmer, uncovered.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes or until translucent. Stir in ½ cup of the broth to rice and continue to stir until broth is absorbed (about 8–10 minutes.) Continue to add ½ cup of broth at a time and stir often until all of the broth is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Add the cooked asparagus and peas and stir to combine.
- Serve with an optional sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.