A traditional Italian way to cook rice which results in a creamy side dish. Best served hot, as this dish doesn't wait. This is a lacto-vegetarian recipe.
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup diced red bell peppers
- ½ cup sliced zucchini
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- 1 pinch saffron
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup [stock]
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp snipped fresh parsley
- ⅛ tsp white pepper, ground
- Cook mushrooms, zucchini, and red pepper until tender crisp in large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove vegetables; set aside.
- Cook onions in same skillet until soft.
- Add rice and saffron; stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add wine and stir until absorbed. Stir in broth.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed. Continue stirring and add 2 cups water, allowing the first cup to be absorbed before adding the second.
- Cook until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency. It will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in Cheese, parsley, white pepper, and reserved vegetables.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information Edit
Nutrition (per serving):
- 135 calories
- total fat 1 g (9% of calories)