Makes 6 servings.
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup uncooked U.S. arborio or medium-grain rice
- pinch of ground saffron
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup sliced black olives
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks; season with salt and white pepper.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, onions, red pepper and celery. Cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove chicken and vegetables; set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet until hot. Add rice and saffron; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine; stir until absorbed. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook, uncovered, until broth is absorbed, stirring frequently. Continue stirring and adding remaining 1 cup broth and water, one cup at a time; allow each cup to be absorbed before adding another, until rice is tender and has a creamy consistency, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in Cheese, , cream and chicken mixture; heat thoroughly. Serve immediately.