Makes 6 servings.
- ¾ pound beef sirloin, cut into strips
- garlic salt and ground black pepper
- ¾ cup diced red pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup uncooked U.S. arborio or medium-grain rice
- pinch (about 1/16 teaspoon) ground saffron
- ⅓ cup dry sherry
- 2 cups beef broth, divided
- 3 cups water
- 1 10-ounce package frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- Season beef with garlic salt and black pepper.
- Cook beef and red pepper in oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove beef and pepper; set aside.
- Cook onion in butter until soft.
- Add rice and saffron; stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sherry; stir until absorbed. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and adding remaining 1 cup broth and water, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another, until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency. It will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in peas, cheese, milk and reserved beef mixture; serve immediately.