Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Braised onions and carrots
- serves 4 to 6
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings (1 cup)
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded ad finely chopped (see below)
- 8 small carrots, scraped and sliced lengthwise into ⅛-inch thick strips (2 cups)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup of finely chopped scallions including 2 inches of the green stems
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in a heavy 10- to 12-inch stainless-steel or enameled skillet set over high heat.
- Drop in the onion rings and stirring them frequently, cook over moderate heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Add the tomato, raise the heat and broil briskly, uncovered, until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated.
- Then stir is the carrots, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Pour enough water to barely cover (about ½ to ¾ cup) the carrots, bring to a boil and cover the skillet tightly.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the carrots are just tender.
- Transfer the carrots and the sauce to a heated serving bowl, sprinkle with chopped scallions and cilantro, and serve at once.