Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 cup rye bread cut into pieces and dried in the oven
- 5 cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp sugar (you can put more if you like it sweeter)
- 1 tsp yeast
- Put dried pieces of bread in the big jar.
- Add boiling water and leave to soak for 5 hours.
- Then add sugar and yeast and leave in the warm place to ferment.
- Fermentation usually lasts between 12 and 24 hours depending on the air temperature.
- Then strain and put in the fridge.
You can also substitute kvass in okroshka for kefir (butter milk). You will have to dilute it with water though if it is too thick. Okroshka with kefir has different taste which i actually prefer to the one with kvass. It tastes unbelievable!