Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
22.214.171.124 20:37, August 19, 2010 (UTC)
- 1¼ lbs rutabaga, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In medium bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in just enough ice water to hold dough together; do not overmix.
- Roll out dough on floured surface, and fit into 9-inch ovenproof glass or other pie plate.
- In large saucepan, bring generous amount of water to boil over medium heat.
- Add cubed rutabaga, and cook until very tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer to food processor, food mill or blender, and process until smooth.
- If using blender, moisten mixture with ½ cup cream to process.
- Measure 2 packed cups rutabaga purée, and place in large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Stir sugar, corn syrup and spices into rutabaga purée, mixing well.
- Fold in eggs, then stir in heavy cream until well blended.
- Pour mixture into pie crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until set.
- Cool before serving.