126.96.36.199 20:37, August 19, 2010 (UTC)
- 1¼ lbs rutabaga, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In medium bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in just enough ice water to hold dough together; do not overmix.
- Roll out dough on floured surface, and fit into 9-inch ovenproof glass or other pie plate.
- In large saucepan, bring generous amount of water to boil over medium heat.
- Add cubed rutabaga, and cook until very tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer to food processor, food mill or blender, and process until smooth.
- If using blender, moisten mixture with ½ cup cream to process.
- Measure 2 packed cups rutabaga purée, and place in large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Stir sugar, corn syrup and spices into rutabaga purée, mixing well.
- Fold in eggs, then stir in heavy cream until well blended.
- Pour mixture into pie crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until set.
- Cool before serving.