Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The picture says it all! This beauty not only looks impressive, but tastes fresh and wonderful. The cornmeal in the crust adds a nice element, different than the regular pie crust. (prep time includes chilling periods)
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup coarse cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon packed orange zest
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ⅓ cup ice water (or more)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 medium nectarines, pitted and each cut into 16 slices
- ½ pint raspberries or blackberries or blueberries
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten (for glaze)
- raw sugar crystals, to sprinkle
- peach preserves, heated
- To prepare the crust: combine first 5 ingredients in food processor and whizz for 5 seconds to blend.
- Add butter, and pulse until butter is pea size.
- Add ⅓ cup ice water and pulse until dough forms moist clumps.
- Add more water by teaspoon fulls if too dry.
- Gather dough into ball, flatten into disc, wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
- Can be made 1 day ahead.
- Let dough sit a few minutes, then roll on lightly floured sheet of parchment paper to a 14 inch round, turning occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Slide a rimless baking sheet under parchment and place disc in fridge for 30 minutes.
- To make filling: stir sugar and cornstarch to blend.
- Mix in fruit and vanilla.
- Let stand until juices are released, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Transfer baking sheet with dough to work surface and let stand for 8 minutes.
- Spoon fruit and juices into center of dough, making a even 10 inch diameter.
- Brush a 2 inch border of dough with egg.
- Lift about 2 inches of dough border and pinch to form vertical seam.
- Pinching every two inches.
- See photo- middle six inches of fruit should remain uncovered.
- Brush folded border with egg and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Place baking sheet with tart in oven.
- Bake until crust is golden and fruit is bubbling, about 55 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer with large spatula to cooling rack.
- Brush fruit with heated preserves.
- Cool 45 minutes.
- Serve warm, or at room temp.
- A dollop of crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream goes very nicely with a slice of this.