The picture says it all! This beauty not only looks impressive, but tastes fresh and wonderful. The cornmeal in the crust adds a nice element, different than the regular pie crust. (prep time includes chilling periods)
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup coarse cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon packed orange zest
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ⅓ cup ice water (or more)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 medium nectarines, pitted and each cut into 16 slices
- ½ pint raspberries or blackberries or blueberries
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten (for glaze)
- raw sugar crystals, to sprinkle
- peach preserves, heated
- To prepare the crust: combine first 5 ingredients in food processor and whizz for 5 seconds to blend.
- Add butter, and pulse until butter is pea size.
- Add ⅓ cup ice water and pulse until dough forms moist clumps.
- Add more water by teaspoon fulls if too dry.
- Gather dough into ball, flatten into disc, wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
- Can be made 1 day ahead.
- Let dough sit a few minutes, then roll on lightly floured sheet of parchment paper to a 14 inch round, turning occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Slide a rimless baking sheet under parchment and place disc in fridge for 30 minutes.
- To make filling: stir sugar and cornstarch to blend.
- Mix in fruit and vanilla.
- Let stand until juices are released, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Transfer baking sheet with dough to work surface and let stand for 8 minutes.
- Spoon fruit and juices into center of dough, making a even 10 inch diameter.
- Brush a 2 inch border of dough with egg.
- Lift about 2 inches of dough border and pinch to form vertical seam.
- Pinching every two inches.
- See photo- middle six inches of fruit should remain uncovered.
- Brush folded border with egg and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Place baking sheet with tart in oven.
- Bake until crust is golden and fruit is bubbling, about 55 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer with large spatula to cooling rack.
- Brush fruit with heated preserves.
- Cool 45 minutes.
- Serve warm, or at room temp.
- A dollop of crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream goes very nicely with a slice of this.