In Romanian: Cozonaci rusesti
- 2 lbs / 1 kg flour
- 22 yolks
- ½ lb / 250 g melted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup milk
- 10 oz / 300 g confectioner's sugar
- grated peel from ½ lemon and ½ orange
- ¼ ground vanilla stick
- 3 oz / 80 g yeast
- butter and bread crumbs for the pan
- egg for washing the dough
- Over the yeast mixed with 1 teaspoon of sugar, pour 2 - 3 tablespoons tepid milk and add 2 - 3 tablespoons of flour.
- Mix everything very well. Cover and leave in a warm spot.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, pour the scalded milk over 3 - 4 tablespoons of flour, mixing very well.
- Cover with a cloth and let cool off.
- When it is only a little warm, add the previously made starter, which has risen.
- Mix well, sprinkle some flour on top, cover and leave again in a warm spot until well risen.
- In the meantime, beat the yolks with the sugar in a bowl sitting in a bowl with hot water.
- When the sugar is melted and the mixture warm, pour, a little at a time, over the starter, also adding a little flour, salt, vanilla, lemon and orange peel.
- Mix everything very well to make a homogenuous paste.
- Sprinkle some flour on top, cover and let rise again in a warm place.
- Now you start kneading, adding tepid melted butter , tepid oil and tepid honey.
- Keep kneading until the dough starts to easily come off your hands.
- Cover and let rise until it triples in bulk.
- Then take a piece of dough and place in the pan, greased and sprinkled with bread crumbs.
- Fill only ⅓ of the pan with dough.
- Cover and leave in a warm spot until it almost fill the whole pan.
- Wash the surface of the dough with an egg-water mixture and set into the oven, first at slow heat until it rises some more, then increase the heat to medium.
- On the average, it should be baked for 1 hour.
- Test with a cake tester.
- When it is done, remove from the pan and onto a cloth and let cool off.