Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes via The diabetic Gourmet Daily Recipe Mailer
- Yield: Makes about 3 quarts (10 servings)
- 1 x 2-pound boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 small head cabbage (about 1½ pounds), shredded
- 1 x 28-ounce can tomato purée
- 1 x 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- Season the meat with salt and pepper; place in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add the onions and enough water to cover the meat (about 2 quarts).
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour.
- Add all the remaining vegetables and the brown sugar.
- Cover and simmer 2 hours longer.
- Skim the fat from the top of the stew with a spoon.
- Serve the stew in bowls, each topped with 1 rounded tablespoon of yogurt.
Nutritional Information Edit
Per Serving (about 1¼ cups):
- Calories: 223 | Fat: 5 g | Cholesterol: 53 Mg | Sodium: 527 Mg | Carbohydrate: 25 g | Fiber: 5 g | Protein: 21 g
- Diabetic exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, ½ fat