On Fridays, you can smell the distinct aroma of rugelach on every street corner in Israel. People anxious to buy them for the weekend will line up at their neighborhood bakery to get them hot out of the oven. Unfortunately, due to their small size, there never seems to be enough of these delicious pastries to go around. Makes approximately 40.
- Mix yeast with 1 tsp. sugar and ½ cup of lukewarm milk (or water), until yeast starts bubbling.
- Mix in rest of ingredients and knead until dough doesn't stick to pan.
- Cool in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Roll dough into a flat sheet.
- Spread jam on dough and spread sugar, cocoa mixture on top.
- Cut into triangles and roll starting from the base of the triangle.
- On a cookie sheet, bake at medium heat (375°F / 190°C) until golden (25 – 35 minutes).