Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Royal Icing from the Wikibooks Cookbook—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
- Cook Time: Just a few minutes
- 2 large egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2½ cups confectioners' sugar
- liquid or paste food coloring
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on low until they become loose, about 1 minute.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue mixing on low until the whites become frothy, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the confectioners' sugar with the mixer on low.
- Continue to mix until the icing holds a stiff peak and is dull in appearance, about 2 minutes. The icing is ready to use for piping lines.
Flooding (filling in an icing outline)
- Add a small amount of water to the frosting and mix until the icing reaches a looser consistency.
Notes, Tips and Variations
- If desired, divide the icing among smaller bowls and add coloring(s).
- To store icing for later use:
- Clean the inner sides of the bowl or container to remove any drips.
- Place a dampened paper towel directly on the surface of the icing and then cover the bowl very tightly with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate up to 5 days.