Makes 4 servings.
- 2 pounds boneless lean lamb cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry (optional)
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Brown lamb in hot oil in heavy saucepan with tight-fitting lid until brown on all sides.
- Stir in tomato paste, curry, salt, garlic, apple, onion, broth and sherry.
- Cover; simmer 1 to 1½ hours or until meat is fork-tender.
- Stir occasionally and add water, if needed.
- If sauce is thin at end of cooking period, thicken with 1 to 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water.
- Adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Spoon over beds of fluffy rice.
- Serve curry with side dishes of chopped peanuts, chutney, diced hard-cooked eggs, shredded coconut and raisins, if desired.