Warning: In the 1960s, laboratory tests determined that safrole, the major component of the oil of the sassafras root bark, was toxic to the liver and could cause cancer
This sweet, bracing drink from Rosemary Gladstar Slick is reminiscent of old-fashioned root beer, due to the sassafras. It has a cleansing, revivifying effect from the dandelion, burdock and sarsaparilla.
- Makes about 4 cups
- 3 oz sassafras bark, dried
- 2 oz sarsaparilla, dried
- 1 oz dandelion root, dried
- 1 oz burdock root, dried
- ½ oz ground ginger
- ½ oz ground cinnamon
- ¼ oz orange peel, dried
- Mix together all ingredients and store in a tightly closed container.
- In a large pot combine 1 quart of water and 4 tablespoons of dry mixture.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain and sweeten with honey or stevia (also called "sweet herb") if desired.