Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 Tbs. olive or canola oil
- 3 carrots, trimmed, peeled, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium white or yellow onions, peeled, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 beets (about 1 1/4 lbs.) trimmed, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 1 small head cabbage, cored, quartered, very thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 10 cups water
- 3 Tbs. tomato paste
- 3 Tbs. brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Low-fat yogurt or dairy-free soy sour cream for garnish (optional)
In large pot, heat oil over medium heat, tilting pan to spread. Add carrots, onions and garlic; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add beets and cabbage. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except yogurt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Taste soup for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed. Soup should have a nice sweet-sour tang.