- 1 medium Onion, cut into thin round slices and separated into rings
- 2 cups low-fat dairy milk, goat’s milk or oat milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese or cheddar-style soy cheese
- 1 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, quartered and cut into thin slices
- 1/2 lb. parsnips (about 3 medium), peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 lb. carrots (about 6 medium), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb. turnips (about 4 medium) or rutabagas, peeled, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 400 °F. Coat 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray. Layer parsnips over bottom of dish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and and 1 tablespoon flour. Layer carrots over parsnips. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and remaining tablespoon flour. Layer turnips over carrots, then cover with Apples and Onion rings. Sprinkle with salt. Pour milk over vegetables.
Cover with aluminum foil, sealing edges well. Bake until vegetables are tender and completely cooked, about 1 hour. Remove from oven, uncover and sprinkle with Cheese. Return to oven and bake until top is browned, about 30 minutes. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes before serving.