A family favorite from Frances Russell, Garden City.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 18 servings
- 1 cup rolled wheat 
- 1½ cups boiling water
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Topping (optional) Edit
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat 13 x 9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Soak rolled wheat in boiling water 15 minutes.
- Beat together granulated sugar, brown sugar, margarine, and eggs until fluffy.
- Stir together flour, soda, nutmeg, salt and cinnamon.
- Add to mixture with rolled wheat and vanilla; mix until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 – 35 minutes or until cake is done.
- If desired, in small saucepan, combine topping ingredients.
- Cook until mixture boils, stirring constantly.
- Spread over warm cake; broil 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Watch carefully to avoid over-browning.
- In cake, substitute 1½ cups hot orange juice for 1½ cups boiling water. In topping, substitute 3 tablespoons orange juice for 3 tablespoons milk.
- ↑ Old Fashioned Oats may be substituted in equal proportions for rolled wheat. Rolled Wheat can be found in supermarkets, food cooperatives , health food stores or may be ordered from the American White Wheat Producers Association, P.O. Box 326, Atchison, KS 66002. Phone: 1-800-372-4422.
Nutritional information Edit
One serving without topping provides 166 calories | 2 g protein | 28 g carbohydrates | 6 g fat | 24 mg cholesterol | 1 g dietary fiber | 16 mg calcium | 67 mg potassium | 189 mg sodium.