Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Low fat milk and clam juice are the secrets to the lower fat and saturated fat content of this satisfying supper soup. Serve this chowder as an appetizer or meal in itself and eat like an admiral on a health cruise.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Keep the Beat: Heart Healthy Recipes, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 2 cup potatoes, raw, peeled, cubed
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 cup bottled clam juice
- 8 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb fresh or frozen (and thawed) cod or haddock fillets, cut into ¾" cubes
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in large saucepan.
- Add onion and celery, and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, thyme, paprika, and clam broth.
- Wrap peppercorns and bay leaf in cheese cloth.
- Add to pot.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, then add fish and simmer for an added 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily and is opaque.
- Remove fish and vegetables.
- Break fish into chunks.
- Bring broth to boil and continue boiling until volume is reduced to 1 cup.
- Remove bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Shake flour and ½ cup low-fat milk in container with tight-fitting lid until smooth.
- Add to broth in saucepan, along with remaining milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and is thickened.
- Return vegetables and fish chunks to stock and heat thoroughly.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Nutritional information Edit
Per 1 cup serving:
- 186 Calories | 6g Total fat | 1g Saturated fat | 34mg Cholesterol | 302mg Sodium | 18g Carbs | 2g Total fiber | 15g Protein