- Heat 1½ quarts water in a large saucepan to boiling.
- Add the lobster tails and salt, and simmer until tender.
- Reserve water.
- In another large saucepan, heat the butter and saute the onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, herbs, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and lemon peel.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and 4 cups lobster water.
- Boil soup and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Force soup through a food mill, then return to the pot.
- Chop the lobster meat and add to the soup.
- Stir in the cream to combine.
- Season if necessary.