Roasted Sweet Onion Dip from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, licensed in the public domain
- Cook Time: About 20 minutes
- Serves: 8
- 2 large sweetonions (Vidalia or Walla Walla), peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 whole garlic head
- ⅓ cup nonfat sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, packed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Place onion in a medium bowl and drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the salt. Toss to coat.
- Remove white paper skin from garlic head but do not peel or separate cloves. Wrap and seal garlic head in foil.
- Place onion and garlic on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Chop onion and place in a medium bowl. Separate garlic cloves and squeeze out pulp then discard skins.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt, sour cream, cilantro and lemon juice to onion mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Serve with fresh vegetable sticks or pita chips.