Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Remember grapefruit can interfere with certain medications! Take care, Gloria
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Ellie Krieger, 2007
- Show: "Healthy Appetite" with Ellie Krieger
- Episode: Mood Food
- Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 skinless salmon fillets, 5 to 6 oz each
- ¼ tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 ruby red grapefruits
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2½ tsp honey 
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Season the salmon with ¼ teaspoon salt, place in a baking dish and roast until cooked through, about 18 minutes.
- While the salmon is cooking prepare the sauce.
- Cut 1 of the grapefruits into sections by cutting off the top and bottom of the fruit, then standing it on 1 end, cut down the skin to remove the pith and peel.
- Then, with a paring knife, remove each segment of fruit from its casing and cut the segments in half.
- Set the segment pieces aside.
- Juice the other grapefruit and set the juice aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil over a medium heat.
- Add the shallot and saute until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger, grapefruit juice, honey, and cayenne pepper and bring to simmer.
- Cook until sauce is reduced by about half about,10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and season with salt, to taste.
- Right before serving, toss the grapefruit pieces and basil into the sauce.
- Put the salmon onto a serving dish.
- Spoon sauce over the salmon and serve.
- ↑ If unsure about using honey... consider the artificial honey but remember the digestive problems it may cause.
Nutritional information Edit
- 345 Calories | 18g Total Fat | 3.5g Saturated Fat | 7.3g Monounsaturated Fat | 6g Polyunsatured Fat | 85mg Cholesterol | 230mg Sodium | 16g Carbs | 1g Fiber | 29g Protein