Remember grapefruit can interfere with certain medications! Take care, Gloria
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Ellie Krieger, 2007
- Show: "Healthy Appetite" with Ellie Krieger
- Episode: Mood Food
- Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 skinless salmon fillets, 5 to 6 oz each
- ¼ tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 ruby red grapefruits
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2½ tsp honey 
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Season the salmon with ¼ teaspoon salt, place in a baking dish and roast until cooked through, about 18 minutes.
- While the salmon is cooking prepare the sauce.
- Cut 1 of the grapefruits into sections by cutting off the top and bottom of the fruit, then standing it on 1 end, cut down the skin to remove the pith and peel.
- Then, with a paring knife, remove each segment of fruit from its casing and cut the segments in half.
- Set the segment pieces aside.
- Juice the other grapefruit and set the juice aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil over a medium heat.
- Add the shallot and saute until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger, grapefruit juice, honey, and cayenne pepper and bring to simmer.
- Cook until sauce is reduced by about half about,10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and season with salt, to taste.
- Right before serving, toss the grapefruit pieces and basil into the sauce.
- Put the salmon onto a serving dish.
- Spoon sauce over the salmon and serve.
- ↑ If unsure about using honey... consider the artificial honey but remember the digestive problems it may cause.
Nutritional information Edit
- 345 Calories | 18g Total Fat | 3.5g Saturated Fat | 7.3g Monounsaturated Fat | 6g Polyunsatured Fat | 85mg Cholesterol | 230mg Sodium | 16g Carbs | 1g Fiber | 29g Protein