Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
A quick, easy and yet still healthful snack. Use organic peppers, if possible. If you can get them, use fat free flour tortilla shells...but feel free to use sliced pita breads and stuff with extra vegetables if you'd like. This recipe is versatile; you can substitute roasted eggplant for the peppers or guacamole in place of the hummus. You can even used flavored tortilla shells, if desired.
- 1 large red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 4 tbsp roasted garlic hummus (Sabra makes an excellent version...but you can use any kind of hummus you like)
- 2 soft flour tortillas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the broiler. Brush the pepper halves with the oil and place cut side down on a baking sheet. Grill for 5 minutes, until charred. Put the pepper halves in a sealed plastic bag and leave to cool.
- When cooled, remove the peppers from the bag and carefully peel the charred skin and discard. Thinly slice the flesh using a sharp knife.
- Spread two tablespoons of the hummus over each tortilla in a thin, even layer and top with the roasted pepper slices. Season with salt and plenty of ground black pepper, then roll them up and cut in half to serve.