Part of Herbs 'N Spices: A Holiday Menu: a complete menu for a holiday open house or buffet-add the appetizers.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 cup diced sweet onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced tart apples
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons roasted garlic purée 
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 4 cups diced dried bread croutons
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onions, celery, apples and shallots in 2 tablespoons butter until tender.
- Add 2 cups chicken stock and simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add garlic and herbs.
- Stir in croutons.
- Stuff turkey and bake extra in a buttered baking dish and bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown on top.
- ↑ Garlic purée is made by cutting off the very top of a whole garlic bulb and roasting in a 350°F oven after it's been wrapped loosely in foil for 20 minutes or until it's soft. Cool enough to handle and push down the bulb to squeeze the garlic out of the cloves. Mash and use.
Serving directions Edit
You may remove the dressing and serve in a bowl on the buffet next to the sliced turkey and the gravy, or leave whole and place all on a very large platter and assign someone the duty of carving and serving to the guests. Either way is fine.