Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Diabetic Living Diet
- Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 1 whole bulb garlic
- 3 tsp fresh basil
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ lb beef, boneless round steak
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the top ½ inch from each garlic bulb to expose the ends of the individual cloves.
- Leaving garlic bulb(s) whole, remove any loose, papery outer layers.
- Fold a 20x18-inch piece of heavy foil in half crosswise.
- Trim into a 10-inch square.
- Place garlic bulb(s) cut sides up in center of foil square.
- Sprinkle garlic with basil and rosemary and drizzle with oil.
- Bring up 2 opposite edges of foil and seal with a double fold.
- Fold remaining edges together to enclose garlic, leaving space for steam to build.
- For a charcoal grill, place garlic packet on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals.
- Grill about 30 minutes or until garlic feels soft when packet is squeezed, turning garlic occasionally.
- Meanwhile, trim fat from steaks.
- Sprinkle pepper and salt evenly over both sides of steaks; rub in with your fingers.
- While garlic is grilling, add steaks to grill.
- Grill until desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling.
- For ribeye steaks, allow 11 to 15 minutes for medium rare (145°F) and 14 to 18 minutes for medium (160°F).
- For sirloin steak, allow 14 to 18 minutes for medium rare (145°F) and 18 to 22 minutes for medium (160°F) (for a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place garlic, then steaks on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above).
- To serve, cut steaks into 6 serving-size pieces.
- Remove garlic from foil, reserving the oil mixture.
- Squeeze garlic pulp from each clove onto steaks.
- Mash pulp slightly with a fork; spread over steaks.
- Drizzle with the reserved oil mixture.
Nutritional information Edit
- 189 Calories | 9g Total Fat | 2g Saturated Fat | 139mg Sodium | 4g Carbs | 0g Dietary Fiber | 0g Sugars | 52mg Cholesterol | 22g Protein
- Exchanges: 3 lean meat | ½ fat
- Carb choices: ½